Killurin

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Killurin

Killurin

Equivalent terms

Killurin

Associated terms

Killurin

95 Archival description results for Killurin

95 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Annual Report 1859

Annual report for year ending July 1859, including a list of leasholders and undertenants who have surrendered their several leases; general account of income and expenditure; detailed statements of disbursements including costs of drainage and building improvements; a list for compensation for surrender of tenancies and emigration; and a detailed rental of entire estate.

Contains a summary report outlining the mechanism of the leaseholder's compensation fund, the distribution of which, W. S. Trench describes as 'the most arduous and most serious task of responsibility I have ever had to encounter.' Also discusses estate improvements such as the drainage of 125 statute acres, particularly in Meelaghans where 100 acres 'of miserable cut away bog' was drained and cultivated. Also discusses improvements to the labourers' cottages through the additions of chimneys and windows and a proposal to enter the new cottages for the award of the Gold Medal offered by the Royal Agricultural Society. Further estate improvements include new roads through Killellery, Lugmore and Meelaghans.

Agrarian unrest is also discussed in the context of the case of Henry Kane, tenant, who along with his brother, Michael Kane, each held a farm in Killurin. On the death of Michael, Henry took immediate posssession of his brother's farm, to which the Trenchs objected. Report discusses general tenant support for Kane, even from outside the estate, and includes descriptions of intimidatory tactics by Ribbonmen. Also discusses measures to have Henry Kane ejected from the land altogether.

Drawings in the report include:
Page 2: 'Ancient pan found on Geashill Estate, 4 feet broad x 14 inches deep' (The Geashill Cauldron)
Page 11: 'Ancient keg of butter found 12ft below surface of Red Bog. 2 feet long x 13 inches broad.'

Annual Report 1865

Annual report for year ending 1865 containing details of the rental of the estate and the slow recovery of the financial situation. Describes the low level of emigration from the estate in comparison to the rest of Ireland. Also describes drainage and land improvements at Ballyknockan, Ballycollin and Annagharvey, and at the new farm known as 'The Prairie.' Reports on tillage of corn and the sowing of grain, rape, grass-seed and potatoes.

Reports on the transformation of the village of Killeigh from a state where peripheral houses had already fallen in and the houses on the main street had become too dangerous and too exposed to the weather to live in, to newly built cottages which were entered for competition of Gold Medal of the Royal Agricultural Society of Ireland for the best cottages in the province of Leinster and also won the challenge cup offered by the Duke of Leinster. Other buildings include a new house for the miller at Killeigh and Odlum of Ballymooney required extensive additions to his premises. A long range of offices were built for Mr Denning in Cappancur and a new forge was built in Ballinagar.

Also reports on the clearance of Clonad Woods and the purchase of an interest in a considerable plantation in Ballydownan. Regarding threats from Ribbonmen, the report states that Killurin is now the only part of the estate subject to outrages, chiefly of the robberies of foresters of the estate. Also reports that emigration rates have fallen and only sons and daughters of small farmers are leaving for America to join other family members.

Annual Report 1868

Annual report and rental for year end June 1868, containing details of the finances of the estate, and developments inn drainage, land improvement, waste farms, tillage, woods and plantations. Main drains were completed at Meelaghans and Ballinvally, and 'thoro' drains were completed at Ballyknockan, Ballymooney and Killurin. All the drainage schemes were entered into a competition offered by the Royal Agricultural Society of Ireland for best drained land. Discusses farming and the merits of various types of fertilizer: Dublin manure, woolen rags or bone-dust. Also reports on the construction of a movable 'Russian Village', as seen at the Paris Exhibition in 1867, for easily housing labourers as they move around to work on various parts of the estate.

Reports that a new building yard has been acquired next to the house of the architect, Thomas Mallinson, in Geashill Village, and also that a new machinery shed has been constructed to house the steam-engine, the threshing mill and other implements. In relation to repairs to tenants' houses, the report outlines there is much yet to be done, but that Lord Digby has won the gold medal from the RASI for repairs in the best manner for the greatest number of houses in Leinster. He was also awarded a bronze medal at the Paris Exhibition of 1867 for models of cottages exhibited.

Discussing the general condition of the estate, Trench notes that the 'slight stains of Fenianism have been washed away by time and people now look at it as a thing of the past.' He also notes the death of the 3rd Earl of Rosse, the Lord Lieutenant of King's County, 'celebrated for his monster telescope and scientific acquirements.' Appendix contains a copy letter from Thomas Mallinson, Geashill architect, to T. W. Trench, reporting on a visit to London to inspect the manufacture and use of concrete to build houses. Declines to recommend concrete-built houses for the Geashill estate due to the expense and the varied character of the houses.

Annual Report 1872

Annual report and rental for year end June 1872, reporting a very satisfactory financial situation and an overview of receipts and disbursements on the estate. Notes that drainage and land improvements continued but that there was an increased difficulty in sourcing labourers. Main drains were completed at Killurin and Gorteen, and a thorough drain was built at Bawnmore. Reports that sums were expended on extensive fencing and top-dressing of lands. The village inn was completely remodelled and 'now forms one of the most striking features of the village.' Also report that the woods and plantations were more profitable than usual with a large contract won for the supply of ash timber to a Liverpool merchant. Oak and larch plantations were established on the land between the River Clodiagh and the new embankment. Describes the general condition of the estate as 'most satisfactory' and entirely free from violence and lawlessness. Notes, however, that Mr Flanagan, a tenant, disputed the right of Lord Digby to his property but failed at his attempt in doing so.

Roskeen rentals are missing from this volume in order to combine the accounts of the Geashill and Roskeen estates into one. They will appear in subsequent annual reports. John Townsend Trench signs for his father, William S. Trench, who may have already passed away (August 1872) by the time the report was submitted.

Annual Report 1873

Annual report, accounts and rental for year ending June 1873, containing positive reports on the financial condition of the estate with only 'trifling arrears' of £32 and a general increase in overall rental income. Expenditure consisted of main drainage of lands at Roskeen, Queen's County; the reclamation of the bog at Killurin; thorough drainage at Bawnmore; construction of two new cottages in Geashill Village and a substantial range of offices for Mr Warren of Gorteen. Also comments on the scarcity of labour on the estate due to emigration to America, and that the 'Russian Village' (portable labourers' housing) has been moved to Cappyroe from Ballyknockan.

Regrets to say that relations with the tenantry are not entirely satisfactory. Tenants without a written contract were asked to sign one but the parish priest, using 'the extraordinary and mischievous power which an Irish priest possesses over an ignorant Roman Catholic tenantry', informed tenants that by signing they will exclude themselves from any benefit under the Land Act.

Describes the eviction of Mr. O'Flanagan, a large tenant on the estate, who had tried to establish 'tenant-right' through the courts but 'failed signally, as at the last moment before the claim came before the Chairman of the Quarter Sessions, Mr. O'Flanagan signed a paper admitting that he had no claim whatever to tenant-right in his holding.'

Annual Report 1875

Annual report, rental and accounts for year ending June 1875, containing a positive report on the financial condition of the estate, with £9000 profit remitted to Lord Digby as in other years. Expenditure included the purchase of the glebe lands of Geashill from the Commission of Church Temporalities in Ireland for the sum of £3200. The glebe lands were subsequently let to Mr. Chissell.

Drainage works continued with the completion of a drain between Meelaghans and Cloncon to which the Earl of Charleville had paid £50. Other works included extensive reclamation works at Cappyroe and new reclamation works at Cappancur near the town of Tullamore. Expenditure on construction included £700 for a new and substantial farmhouse for Mr E. J. Odlum at Cappancur; two new houses at Killurin; a back yard for Mr Riddell at Annagharvey; raising and re-roofing of Mr Tarleton's house at Killeigh; and improvements to J. Forester's house in Ballinagar.

Notes the bad state of timber at Clonad and discusses new plan to recover the plantation there. Overall the condition of the estate is reported to satisfactory and having 'absolute immunity from disturbance or apparent discontent', with only one man in all the tenantry owing one half-year's rent, all others paid punctually.

Annual Report 1878

Annual report, accounts and rental for year ending June 1878, containing a less favourable financial report than previous years due to non-payment of rent as a result of a second consecutive bad harvest. Reports that he had to evict Samuel Johnston in Killurin due to the neglect of his farm. Details significant drainage works around the estate: main drainage at Killurin and Ross with permission of Mr. Briscoe who will contribute to the works of the drain through his property at Ross; main drainage at Knockballyboy which involves the sinking of the millstream forming the boundary of the Digby, Charleville and Ponsonby Estates at Clonad and Townparks, and jointly paid for; and further drainage for Michael Casey's holding at Killeenmore.

Expenditure also included a 'heavy outlay' for the large reclaimed farm at Annagharvey, where the tenant Mr Riddell had to surrender and was replaced by Thomas Cobbe who had new concrete farm buildings erected with galvanised corrugated iron roofs. Other construction works included a new dwelling house at the Meelaghans to attract a teacher for the Meelaghans National School; a new residence at Killeigh to replace decaying accommodation of John Warren; and substantial farm offices constructed for Mrs. Owens at the Meelaghans to house cattle. A significant amount was also expended on forestry clearances and replantation at Derrygolan and Hawkswood.

Annual Report 1879

Annual report, accounts and rental for year ending June 1879, containing a less favourable report than previous hears due to 'the great and general depression of trade and agriculture' and warns that another bad season will render the tenants in a precarious position. Reports that abandoned arrears had increased but that despite this the rental of the estate had increased and that a profit of £10000 had been remitted as usual. The estate was free of agitation, rents 'cheerfully paid' and only the 'thoroughly negligent' tenants affected by the depression.

Drainage works continued at Killurin and through Mr. Briscoe's property at Ross and there were further drainage works at Dalgan. The main expenditure on construction was for new farm buildings for Thomas Cobbe at Annagharvey, 'which are now the most substantial and commodious farm buildings on the estate.' Other works included a new dwelling house for Mrs Hoyland of Colehill; new outbuildings for farmer Thomas Foran at Killarles and a new slate roof for the priest's offices in Geashill.

Reports that the timber market is in a most depressed state. Forestry works included nearly 30 acres of clearances at Graigue Wood, Derrybrien Wood and Derryclure Wood, all of which were replanted.

Annual Report 1881

Annual report, accounts and rental for year ending June 1881. Reports that the financial condition of the estate had disimproved, outstanding arrears remaining due and abandoned arrears considerably increased. Profit remitted was £8500, a decrease on previous years, although there was a net increase in the overall rental income. Also reports that the Roskeen lease was surrendered by the reps of Mr. Bailey, and that the farm at Ballydownan was surrendered by Mr Adams and now in Lord Digby's hands and set for grazing with newly purchased cattle.

In terms of land improvement, Digby reports on the completion of a number of Board of Works projects including the draining and squaring of the moors under Scrubb Wood, the deepening of the boundary stream at Cappancur and the sinking of a large main drain in Balinvally bog. Construction works included new offices for Mr Arthur of Killurin and Patrick Nugent of Ballycollin; new cottages completed at Killeigh; new cottage commenced in Geashill Village and assistance give to William Mathews to erect substantial new dwelling house in Killurin. Also reports on the thinning and replanting of Derrygunnigan Wood.

Warns that agrarian agitation is increasing encouraged by the Land League. Blames the Government for slow response to agitation. Reports on a 'monster meeting' held in Tullamore by the Land League prior to the winter collection of rents (1880) where the Geashill tenantry requested en masse Griffith's Valuation as a fair rent which was subsequently refused by Lord Digby, but who abated the rent by 10% on the half year's rent payable. Identifies William Adams as the leader of the agitation and describes the court proceedings taken against him individually. With the result of being faced with bankruptcy, Adams paid his rent and then surrendered farm at Ballydownan, with the result that all other agitation on the estate ceased and rents were collected within three weeks. Also refers to 'boycotting' occurring throughout the estate but that no acts of violence or outrages took place. A further attempt at withholding rent in May 1881 was similarly short-lived.

Digby Estate Valuation and Survey

  • IE OCL P74
  • Fonds
  • 1798-1799

Survey and valuation of the Digby estate completed by Michael Cuddehy, land surveyor, for Lord Digby, on 3 January 1798 and a further valuation on 25 June 1799 listing lands in the barony of Geashill that are out of lease. Townlands surveyed in the initial valuation are listed in Cuddehy's accompanying note as Annaharvey, Ballymooney, Ballyknockan, Ballycue and Ballyduff, although only those of Ballycue and Ballyduff are extant. The valuation is tabular, listing tenants' names, a description of their holdings (e.g. 'moory pasture', 'oat field', 'big fallow field' etc.), a measurement in A.R.P (acres, roods, perches) and a yearly value.

The second list entitled 'Lands in the Barony of Geashill out of lease except the parts disposed of as herein 25 June 1799' contain a list of the townlands Annaharvey, Ballymooney, Ballycue, Bluebell, Ballyduff , Dalgan, Ballydownan, Curragh, Killellery, Ballyavill, Cappincur, Kinockballyboy, Ballinagar, Killleigh, Scrub, Killeenmore, and Killurin. Each description is accompanied by a reference number for a map by Cuddehy which is not extant. There are also comments by Cuddehy on certain plots such as 'Darby Smollen declared tenant' in respect of a plot in Ballydownan and he notes that Cuddehy himself is proposed for a plot in Ballymooney of 149 acres.

Digby, Family of the Barons

Results 1 to 10 of 95