Rahan

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Rahan

Rahan

Equivalent terms

Rahan

Associated terms

Rahan

15 Archival description results for Rahan

15 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Plans of Tullabeg cemetery and letters

Plans of Tullabeg cemetery drawn up by Br James Christian SJ in 1952, lists of names and dates of those who were buried in Tullabeg; extracts from the Province Necrologia (1818-1874); later correspondence between Fr Fergal McGrath SJ, Province Archivist, and Fr Richard Coyne SJ, librarian, Tullabeg, concerning the Rahan graves.

St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, Offaly

  • IE IJA FM/TULL
  • Fonds
  • 1818-2010

The Jesuits bought Tullabeg in 1818 (dedicated it to St Stanislaus) and opened a preparatory school for boys destined to go to Clongowes Wood College, Kildare. St Stanislaus College gradually developed as an educational rival to its sister school. It merged with Clongowes Wood College in 1886. Tullabeg then became a house of Jesuit formation: novitiate (1888-1930), juniorate (1895-1911), tertianship (1911-1927) and philosophate (1930-1962). In 1962, it was decided that the students of philosophy should be sent abroad for study. Tullabeg subsequently became a retreat house and was closed in May 1991.

The papers of St Stanislaus College include information on a history of the area around Tullabeg, building and property (1912-2004), correspondence with Superiors (1881-1971), finance (1912-1990), documents on Jesuit training (1818-1962), retreat house (1949-1960) and artworks (1940-1991).

Material is in the form of letters, reports, architectural plans, notes, maps and photographs (1902-1990). Programmes for plays include Shrovetide at St. Stanislaus College, Tullamore; ‘The Man with the Iron Mask’, ‘All at Coventry’ and ‘The Smoked Miser’ (1885) and for ‘Caitlín Ní Uallacáin’ and ‘Cox and Box’ and details Jesuits who performed (1925).

Society of Jesus

Use of boats on the Grand Canal by students of the College

Correspondence and documents relating to the use of boats on the Grand Canal by students of St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg. Includes note by Fr John Joy SJ, Rector of Tullabeg (9 October 1933); note from Fr James McCann SJ to Fr John Joy SJ, Rector of Tullabeg referring to the restrictions on the use of boats and that his brother, James McCann (McCann Stock & Share broker) advises to sign the indemnity, and he will 'fix up the mater with the Board meeting to-day' (9 October 1933).

Results 11 to 15 of 15