Tullamore Union

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Tullamore Union

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1839 - 1925

History

Tullamore’s Poor Law Union was formed on the 16th of September 1839. Its operations were controlled by a Board of Guardians, twenty-four of whom were elected, as well as eight ex-officio Guardians who all met weekly, with J. H. Welsh serving as chairman. The Union comprised an area of 246 square miles, covering two counties: from Offaly (King’s) – Ballycommon, Cappincor, Clara, Durrow, Geashill, Kilclonfert, Killeagh, Killoughy, Kilmonaghan, Philipstown, Rahan, Rathfeston and Tullamore. From County Westmeath – Kilbeggan and Rahugh. The Union was abolished in 1925, with the Board of Guardians powers being transferred to the county councils' Board of Health.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Poor Law Unions were responsible for the provision and management of local workhouses, as well as duties relating to dispensaries, sewers, prevention of diseases, burial grounds, registration of births, marriages and deaths, and public health.

Mandates/sources of authority

Poor Relief (Ireland) Act, 1838

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

August 2019, Erin Sears

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC