- c.1920 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The distillery was founded in 1757 by Matthew MacManus, and went through several owners until by 1843 it had been taken over by John Locke who transformed its fortunes. In 1893 it became a limited company. The 20th century saw a decline in profitability and by 1958, the distillery ceased production. In 1982, it re-opened as a whiskey distillery museum following restoration by the Kilbeggan Preservation and Development Association. In 2007 distilling recommenced at Kilbeggan and it is known now as Kilbeggan Distillery.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Unused cheque book issued by Provincial Bank of Ireland to John Locke & Co., distillers of pure pot still whiskey, Kilbeggan, Co. Westmeath.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
By appointment only. Contact Offaly Archives at [email protected]
Conditions governing reproduction
May be reproduced in accordance with provisions of the Copyright and Related Rights Act (2000). No reproduction online, in print or broadcast without the express permission of copyright holder.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Offaly County Library
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAD (G), 2nd Ed.
Dates of creation revision deletion
August 2019, Ciara O'Brien