- 1878 - 1937 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
J. & L. F. Goodbody was established in 1865 as a jute manufacturing business based at Clashawaun in Clara and also with offices in Dublin. Its directors were Jonathan Goodbody (1865-88), Lewis F. Goodbody (1865-87), Robert Goodbody (c1870-88), Joshua C. Goodbody (c1873-88), Fredrick R. Goodbody (1880-88) and J. B. Clibborn Goodbody (1880-88).
The business was formed into a limited company in 1888 and traded under the name J. & L. F. Goodbody Ltd. As well as jute, it also manufactured cotton and synthetics. Its main factories at Clara and Waterford were later joined by factories at Dublin, Limerick and Slane. In 1937, it became a public company when outside shareholders and directors were introduced. It was quoted on the Dublin Stock Exchange and wound up in 1984. The family crest was adopted as the registered trade mark.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Texts of legislation relating to factory conditions and terms of employment.
1. ‘Textile Factories Factory and Workshop Act, 1878’ signed by R. G. For J. & L. F. Goodbody.
2. ‘Textile Factory and Workshop Act 1901-1916’, signed by J. & L. F. Goodbody, Ltd., 5 September 1921.
3. ‘Textile Factories factory and Workshop Acts 1901-1920’ signed by J. & L. F. Goodbody, Ltd., 23 March 1925.
4. ‘Textile Factory and Workshop Act 1937’, signed by Harold J. Goodbody, August 1937.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
By appointment only. Contact Offaly Archives at email@example.com
Produced for consultation in original format with due regard for handling guidelines. Some fragile items may not be produced.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Goodbody, M., The Goodbodys – the story of an Irish Quaker family 1630 – 1950, Ashfield Press, Dublin (2011)