- IE BCA ROSSE
Parsons Family, Earls of Rosse
6 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Parsons Family, Earls of Rosse
Legal agreements in the form of deeds and indentures relating to the Derenzy family’s title and interest in lands in the vicinity of Tinnycross, County Offaly. The earliest deed dating from 1630, records Sir Mathew de Renzi purchasing the townlands of Ballynashragh, Ballycosny, Tyrenehinan, Kilmore and Derry, all in the barony of Ballycowen, on behalf of his son Mathew DeRenzy, then at the bar in London. The vendor was Robert Branthwaite of London, who had been granted the land by letters patent of King James I. Further adjoining townlands of Rossnagouloge or Cappanure were purchased by Sir Mathew from Allen Jones in 1630, and the following year the adjacent townlands of Derrykilliagh and Kilbeg were purchased from Art McOwen O’Molloy. All were settled on his son, Mathew DeRenzy.
The bulk of the collection consists of numerous leases and mortgages raised against the land by Mathew DeRenzy between 1699 and 1703, while he lived at Cloghbemon in County Wexford. Later items in the collection relate to the sale of the lands to Reverend James Cox, Archdeacon of Ferns.
de Renzi, Sir Mathew
Survey and valuation of the Digby estate completed by Michael Cuddehy, land surveyor, for Lord Digby, on 3 January 1798 and a further valuation on 25 June 1799 listing lands in the barony of Geashill that are out of lease. Townlands surveyed in the initial valuation are listed in Cuddehy's accompanying note as Annaharvey, Ballymooney, Ballyknockan, Ballycue and Ballyduff, although only those of Ballycue and Ballyduff are extant. The valuation is tabular, listing tenants' names, a description of their holdings (e.g. 'moory pasture', 'oat field', 'big fallow field' etc.), a measurement in A.R.P (acres, roods, perches) and a yearly value.
The second list entitled 'Lands in the Barony of Geashill out of lease except the parts disposed of as herein 25 June 1799' contain a list of the townlands Annaharvey, Ballymooney, Ballycue, Bluebell, Ballyduff , Dalgan, Ballydownan, Curragh, Killellery, Ballyavill, Cappincur, Kinockballyboy, Ballinagar, Killleigh, Scrub, Killeenmore, and Killurin. Each description is accompanied by a reference number for a map by Cuddehy which is not extant. There are also comments by Cuddehy on certain plots such as 'Darby Smollen declared tenant' in respect of a plot in Ballydownan and he notes that Cuddehy himself is proposed for a plot in Ballymooney of 149 acres.
Digby, Family of the Barons
Catalogue of books in the possession of Rt. Hon. Charles William, Lord Tullamore and bundle of incoming correspondence.
Bury, Charles William, 1st earl of Charleville
Copies of outgoing letters from John V. Brown, clerk of Parsonstown Union to various recipients, particularly the Poor Law Commissioners, detailing reliefs and works. Also includes copy outgoing correspondence relating to assisted emigration schemes for inmates of the Parsonstown workhouse during the course of the Great Famine.
Parsonstown (Birr) Poor Law Union
Copy rental of the Cloghan estate, King's County. In the Court of the Commissioners for the sale of Incumbered Estates in Ireland in the matter of the Right Honorable Charles William, Earl Fitzwilliam, of Wentworth, York. Lands to be sold on 15 April 1853. Contains general summary of acreage, rent and tithe charges. Also contains Ordnance Survey 6" maps. Detailed rental contains tenant names, acreage held and terms of tenure.
Court of Commissioners for sale of Incumbered Estates
Inquest reports handwritten by James Dillon, King's County Coroner into a leather-bound notebook. Inquests begin at No. 589, 21 February 1846 and end at No. 1079, 12 December 1854. Format of inquest reports is largely identical beginning with a record of the inquest number, date, location of inquest and the name of the deceased. Then follows a list of the jurors present and witnesses called. The reports end with a verdict on the cause of death. Notable due to its date span which covers the famine era.
Rental of the estate of the Earl of Charleville c.1880.
Presentment or 'Jobs' Books for the years 1830-1878 from two sets of bound volumes originally belonging to James Franck Rolleston, Franckfort Castle, Dunkerrin, and Henry Trench, Cangort Park, Shinrone, respectively, with some crossover. Also includes two coroner's inquest report books of James Dillon, King's County Coroner, and 27 printed lists of jurors from the baronies of Ballyboy, Ballycowan, Garrycastle, Geashill, Kilcoursey, Moycashel, Lower Philipstown and Upper Philipstown.
King's County Grand Jury
Softbound copy book containing minutes of the Tullamore Lawn Tennis Club, including two loose notes, one of which is a hand drawn programme for a tennis tournament. Minutes contain general rules of the club, statements of account, plans for tournaments, and lists of members. Important decisions recorded include changing the site of the tennis grounds to Spollenstown, Tullamore in 1894 and the construction of a pavilion. Prominent members include Rev. Maxwell H. Coote, Capt. Fetherstonhaugh, James Perry Goodbody, Reginald Digby, David Sherlock, Lewis Goodbody, J. Prior Kennedy, Rev. R. S. Craig, George Lauder, A. G. Gardiner, A. B. Reamsbottom, George Hoey, and James Denning,
Tullamore Lawn Tennis Club