Showing 20 results

Archival description
Papers of Fr Joseph Hurley
Print preview View:

An Tóstal - captions for display

Box of index cards comprising the captions which were used to display artefacts, photographs, and documents during An Tóstal exhibitions in 1953 and 1954. The numbers on the cards correspond with the catalogue of exhibits ( See P87/1/2) and also contain details of the donors of the artefacts. Also contains cards relating to artefacts temporarily loaned to the exhibition and not listed in the official catalogue, particularly a quantity of War of Independence era militaria, much of which was donated by former Irish Volunteers Peadar Bracken and Alo O'Brennan.

An Tóstal - correspondence

Correspondence relating to aspects of hosting An Tóstal exhibition in Tullamore.

Includes letter from James Ennnis, Country Registrar, Circuit Court Office, Tullamore, (and a member of the organising committee of An Tóstal) to Fr Hurley:

'Last evening Mrs Ennis was home to see her mother and she got from her a beautiful Land League flag in very good condition. The flag is of green with the slogan 'The Land for the People' on the back. On the front it had a picture of C.S. Parnell & of his home in Avondale. Super-imposed on Parnell's picture is a picture of Daniel O'Connell and presumably C. S. P. was 'effaced' after the Divorce. I have also learned that there is in Killeaveys of William St. a lovely picture of Dr Dunne...Both will be additions to our Museum.'

An Tóstal - documents for display

Informational documents or copies of original documents which were placed on display in the 1953 and 1954 An Tóstal exhibitions in Tullamore.

  1. Rough sketch of a map of Clonmacnoise monastic site, 'The way of the Station at Clonmacnoise 3 1/2 hours'
  2. List of 'Visitors to Clonmacnoise' extracted from the 'register', including Uachtarán na hÉireann Seán T. O'Kelly.
  3. 'Rolla Ónóra 1798-1803' - a list of names of Contae Uíbh Fháilghe United Irishmen, compiled from British Army and Secret Service Sources in Dublin Castle by An tAth Seosamh Ó Muirthile, S.J.
  4. Names and addresses of 'Offaly's Suspects' taken from E. J. Hoare's 'Legion of Honour', printed and published by John F. Fowler, Crow St., Dublin in 1883.
  5. Four typescript transcripts of letters to Dr George A. Moorhead in relation to the inquest on John Manderville who died while imprisoned in Tullamore Gaol, 1887.
  6. Fragmentary note mainly in relation to the rebellions of the 1640s.
  7. Three page typescript 'The manufacture of Bricks - an old Offaly industry' by. 'P. F'
  8. Calendar by Sáirséal agus Dill for 1953 with portraits of twelve Irish language writers. The September portrait 'Liam Ó Briain;' has an annotation by Hurley: 'Údar Cuimhní Cinn, a tháinig go dtí an Tulach Mhór 23 Aibreán 1916'
  9. 'Description of a riot in Tullamore in 1808', extracted from Thomas Lalor Cooke's 'Early History of the Town of Birr'.
  10. Outsize map 'Index to the Townland Survey of the King's County' published by Ordnance Survey in 1888. Annotated by Hurley with catalogue numbers relating to items on display in the exhibition.

An Tóstal - draft and final catalogues for Offaly exhibition

Typescript drafts for the items to be displayed as part of the exhibition of local history and archaeology in the 'Aula Maxima' of the Vocational School, Tullamore, on the occasion of An Tóstal, Easter Week, 1953. Lists and revisions describing objects, or illustrations, in Irish and English, with notes also on the donor of the object to the exhibition.

Printer's proofs with revisions and amendments of the same exhibition, held again with minor changes in 1954.

Souvenir programme for the Tullamore 1954 exhibition, listing some of the discoveries that were brought to the fore as a result of the exhibition in 1953.

An Tóstal - exhibition opening

  1. Visitor's book in the form of a school copybook with a list of signatures of visitors to the exhibition in 1953 and 1954.

  2. Drafts of addresses prepared by Fr Hurley to announce the opening of the exhibition and to present pre-recorded lectures by Dr Parkes, Vice Provost of Trinity College Dublin on the Book of Durrow and Dr Joseph Raftery, Keeper of Irish Antiquities, National Museum of Ireland, on the range and scope of the exhibition.

An Tóstal - national programmes

  1. An Tóstal Ireland at Home official souvenir handbook 5-26 April, 1953. Published by Fógra Fáilte, the National Tourist Publicity Organisation of Ireland. An essay 'Ireland is building' by Michael Scott, architect, pp 90-99, features a photograph of the Scott designed Tullamore Hospital.

  2. Two copies of An Tóstal National Programme, 1953

  3. An Tóstal National Programme, 1954

An Tóstal - newspaper articles for display

Newspaper cuttings, some mounted on card, with corresponding catalogue numbers, which were placed on display during An Tóstal exhibitions in Tullamore in 1953 and 1954:

  1. 'Geashill Cauldron Given to Nation', Midland Tribune, 4 April 1954
    2.'The Lays of Tullamore'
  2. 'Tony Molloy Wrote for Nation's Youth'
  3. 'Kilcormac's Famous Missal - a historic manuscript'. By 'P.F.' Offaly Independent, 16 August 1952
  4. 'The Famed Blue Ball - an incident of the Land War.' By 'P.F.'
  5. 'Offaly's Fighting Story' - a series of articles on the War of Independence and Civil War published in the Offaly Independent in March 1954, by 'P.F.' Includes photocopied duplicates of same. Articles include 'The Ambush at Raheen', 'Attempted Ambush at Blue Ball', 'Mount Lucas Ambush' and 'the Fight for Freedom'.
  6. 'We Sail the River Shannon - St Ciarán of Clonmacnois' by H. J. Rice.
  7. 'Offaly's Twelve Baronies' by 'P.F.'

An Tóstal - photographs from exhibition

Lists of photographs which were on display during An Tóstal exhibitions in Tullamore in 1953 and 1954:

  1. Letter from L. C. Sweeney, Bureau Manager, Irish Tourist Association, informing the county librarian, P. Daly, that the ITA would donate 31 photographs to the exhibition. The letter contains the list of photographs which were originally enclosed.

  2. List of photographs from Fr Hurley collection accessioned and added to the photographic collection in Tullamore Library 3/11/1983.

Results 1 to 10 of 20