Bury, Charles William, 1st earl of Charleville

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Bury, Charles William, 1st earl of Charleville

Parallel form(s) of name

  • Lord Charleville (1806-1835)

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Baron Tullamore (1797-1800)
  • Viscount Charleville (1800-1806)

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1764–1835

History

Charles William Bury inherited the Charleville estate when he was a mere 6 months old. His father, John Bury (1735-64), drowned four months after inheriting Charleville from his maternal uncle, Charles Moore (1712-64), earl of Charleville (of the 1st creation). The estate was several thousand hectares in size and included the town of Tullamore. In 1785, Bury reached the age of 21, graduated with a BA from Trinity College Dublin and returned to Tullamore which had been partially destroyed after the great balloon fire of that year. He granted new leases in the town and brought about its rapid development. He employed Francis Johnston to design three major landmarks in Tullamore: St Catherine’s Church, the Market House, and the Gothic fairytale castle, Charleville Forest, which was set in 1500 acres of woodland.
In his political career he was returned MP for Kilmallock in 1789-90 and again in 1791-7. He became Baron Tullamore on 26 November 1797, Viscount Charleville on 29 December 1800, and 1st earl of Charleville (of the 2nd creation) 16 February 1806.
He was elected a fellow of the Royal Society in 1803 and a fellow of the Society of Arts in 1814. He published a paper in the RIA’s Transactions in 1799 on the subject of turf ash and became president of the academy from 1812-1822.

Places

Dublin (birth)
Charleville estate, Tullamore, King’s County
Charleville Forest, Tullamore, King’s County (residence)
Kilmallock, Co Limerick (constituency)
Dover (death)
St Catherine’s Church, Tullamore, King’s County (burial)

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Rapid redevelopment of the town of Tullamore (1785-1835)
Design and construction (with Francis Johnston) of the Gothic castle, Charleville Forest (1800-1808)
President of Royal Irish Academy (1812-22)

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Bury, Charles William, 2nd earl of Charleville (1801-1851)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

family

Type of relationship

Bury, Charles William, 2nd earl of Charleville is the child of Bury, Charles William, 1st earl of Charleville

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Bury, Catherine Maria,1st countess of Charleville (1763-1851)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

family

Type of relationship

Bury, Catherine Maria,1st countess of Charleville is the spouse of Bury, Charles William, 1st earl of Charleville

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR (CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, 2nd Edition

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

October 2019

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

C. J. Woods., Bury, Charles William, Dictionary of Irish Biography

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC