Laurence Campbell was the younger brother of the painter Christopher Campbell. While still attending classes, Laurence, a reserved person, began stone carving with a firm of commercial sculptors. He also studied at the Metropolitan School of Art, winning the Taylor Scholarship in 1935 and the Henry Higgins travelling Scholarship in 1936. This enabled him to travel to Stockholm in 1937 where he worked under Nils Sjogren (1894- 1952) and returned to Ireland two years later as a more confident man.
He won the Higgins Scholarship again in 1939 and he went to study at the Academie Ranson in Paris between 1930-1955.
Laurence Campbell showed more than one hundred works at the RHA being appointed ARHA in 1938 and gaining full membership a year later. His sculptures are in all the prominent public galleries in Ireland as well as Aras an Uachtarain, Leinster Lawn, the Phoneix Park etc.