Showing 63 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions
Print preview View:

7 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

DeRenzy Papers

  • IE OCL P50/9
  • Subfonds
  • 1630-1706

Legal agreements in the form of deeds and indentures relating to the Derenzy family’s title and interest in lands in the vicinity of Tinnycross, County Offaly. The earliest deed dating from 1630, records Sir Mathew de Renzi purchasing the townlands of Ballynashragh, Ballycosny, Tyrenehinan, Kilmore and Derry, all in the barony of Ballycowen, on behalf of his son Mathew DeRenzy, then at the bar in London. The vendor was Robert Branthwaite of London, who had been granted the land by letters patent of King James I. Further adjoining townlands of Rossnagouloge or Cappanure were purchased by Sir Mathew from Allen Jones in 1630, and the following year the adjacent townlands of Derrykilliagh and Kilbeg were purchased from Art McOwen O’Molloy. All were settled on his son, Mathew DeRenzy.
The bulk of the collection consists of numerous leases and mortgages raised against the land by Mathew DeRenzy between 1699 and 1703, while he lived at Cloghbemon in County Wexford. Later items in the collection relate to the sale of the lands to Reverend James Cox, Archdeacon of Ferns.

de Renzi, Sir Mathew

Papers of Rt. Hon. Charles William Bury

  • IE OCL P59
  • Fonds
  • 1799-1801

Catalogue of books in the possession of Rt. Hon. Charles William, Lord Tullamore and bundle of incoming correspondence.

Bury, Charles William, 1st earl of Charleville

Records of Robert Perry & Co. (Belmont Mills)

  • IE OCL P68
  • Fonds
  • 1843-1994

Sections A-C contain many thousands of invoices, receipts, cash books, quotations and estimates, contracts, journals, wages records, production records and order books, and any other type of record relating to the daily administration of the business (1843- 1994).
Section D is comprised of thousands of incoming letters and a much lesser volume of copy outgoing letters, arranged in sub-series exactly as created: in bundles of alphabetically filed letters, bundles of letters filed by month and year, letterbooks of copy outgoing letters, correspondence arranged by owner, legal correspondence and some smaller files or correspondence with government departments and millers’ associations (1873-1964).
Section E is an artifically created series containing correspondence, statements of account and advice notes relating to the distribution of grain into and out of Belmont Mills (1874-1947).
Section F is an artificially created series of correspondence, receipts, policies and schedules relating to the extensive insurances taken out on the mills and on the lives of the owners (1874-1936).
Section G is an artificially created series containing investment policies, banking receipts and debtors’ bankruptcy papers (1873-1954).
Section H contains posters, labels, signs, and packaging relating to the marketing of Belmont Mills products (c.1900-1950).
Section J contains income tax receipts, personal correspondence, and account books relating to the Church of Ireland, personal household expenses, and Lisderg Farm (1858-1975).

Robert Perry & Co.

Papers of Fr. Swayne

  • IE OCL P69
  • Fonds
  • 1921-1970

Correspondence (1963-70), mainly between Swayne and W. H. Milner, Portarlington, relating to a film made by Fr. Kennedy in 1921 ostensibly on the turf-cutting industry in the area, but also features the exhumation of skulls of the ‘Ballynowlart Martyrs’ who were purportedly burned alive in Ballynowlart church by English forces in the 1600s. Correspondence culminates in the deposit of the film in the National Library of Ireland.

Offaly Sinn Féin material: original resolution from North and South Offaly Executive Sinn Féin signed by Comd. Ua Duinn relating to its support of the Treaty (29 December 1921) and calling on Offaly’s representative Dr McCartan to vote for ratification, and a pamphlet entitled 'Terms of Reference 23 May 1922 Adjourned Árd-Fheis of Sinn Féin'.

Leaflets and other printed material relating to Croghan Feis organised by Offaly Vocational Education Committee (1949).
Manuscripts notes on placenames and history of Killeigh Parish and Philipstown (Daingean).

Publications: Programme for Walsh Island Second National Turf-cutting competition (1935); Knockbeg Centenary Year Book (1948); and Suncroft, a Parish Magazine (1970).

Swayne, Peadar, Fr.

Digby Estate Valuation and Survey

  • IE OCL P74
  • Fonds
  • 1798-1799

Survey and valuation of the Digby estate completed by Michael Cuddehy, land surveyor, for Lord Digby, on 3 January 1798 and a further valuation on 25 June 1799 listing lands in the barony of Geashill that are out of lease. Townlands surveyed in the initial valuation are listed in Cuddehy's accompanying note as Annaharvey, Ballymooney, Ballyknockan, Ballycue and Ballyduff, although only those of Ballycue and Ballyduff are extant. The valuation is tabular, listing tenants' names, a description of their holdings (e.g. 'moory pasture', 'oat field', 'big fallow field' etc.), a measurement in A.R.P (acres, roods, perches) and a yearly value.

The second list entitled 'Lands in the Barony of Geashill out of lease except the parts disposed of as herein 25 June 1799' contain a list of the townlands Annaharvey, Ballymooney, Ballycue, Bluebell, Ballyduff , Dalgan, Ballydownan, Curragh, Killellery, Ballyavill, Cappincur, Kinockballyboy, Ballinagar, Killleigh, Scrub, Killeenmore, and Killurin. Each description is accompanied by a reference number for a map by Cuddehy which is not extant. There are also comments by Cuddehy on certain plots such as 'Darby Smollen declared tenant' in respect of a plot in Ballydownan and he notes that Cuddehy himself is proposed for a plot in Ballymooney of 149 acres.

Digby, Family of the Barons

Papers of the O’Brennan Family

  • IE OCL P77
  • Fonds
  • 1873-1955

Contains manuscript material, brochures, pamphlets, and a substantial newspaper collection created principally by Tullamore brothers and Irish Volunteers Séamus and Alo O’Brennan. The earliest material from 1906 and 1909 are programs for feiseanna held by Tullamore Celtic Literary Society and Conradh na Gaeilge. Also includes letter from Inspector Crane of Tullamore RIC Barracks giving permission in 1911 to James Brennan (Séamus O’Brennan) to play hand-ball in the alley at the barracks during weekdays. Both Crane and O’Brennan were involved in the Tullamore Incident five years later.

Also includes a copy of the charge sheet relating to the Tullamore Incident of March 1916, the original of which is in a related set of O'Brenan family papers. This copy is annotated by Alo O’Brennan, along with annotated pages from Hansard’s Debates from April 1916 relating to the ‘affray.’

Also includes an illustrated pledge signed by Alo O’Brennan in Tullamore in June 1918 ‘denying the right of the British government to enforce compulsory service...’

Also includes an autograph book created by Séamus O’Brennan in Ballykinlar internment camp (1920-21).

O'Brennan, Alo

Cheque Book of John Locke & Co. Ltd.

  • IE OCL P8
  • Fonds
  • c.1920

Unused cheque book issued by Provincial Bank of Ireland to John Locke & Co., distillers of pure pot still whiskey, Kilbeggan, Co. Westmeath.

John Locke & Co. Ltd.

Letterbook of Reginald Digby

  • IE OCL P95
  • Item
  • 1903-1908:1914-1922

Letterbook created by Reginald Digby recording letters received from the tenants’ association on the Geashill Estate in relation to the sale of lands by Lord Digby to the tenants under the Land Act of 1903. Includes his copy replies to the secretaries of the association, James Matthews and John Corcoran, and later James Chissell. Also includes copy letters from solicitor to the estate, Lewis Goodbody, who advises on proceedings with the Land Commission and letters from Fr. O’Beirne PP, acting as an intermediary between the estate and the tenants.

Includes a memo of a meeting between Lord Digby and a deputation from the tenants’ association on 30 September 1907, and the decision arrived at by the tenants at a further meeting in the Forester’s Hall, Tullamore, on 2 January 1908 to reject the terms of sale put forward by Lord Digby due to his decision not to cancel the hanging gale and remit a half year’s rent as requested by the tenants.

Also includes later newspaper cuttings concerning unrest on the Estate at the decision to sell untenanted lands to three land owners rather than distributed to small holders and evicted tenants. Cuttings also refer to the Geashill Cattle Drive of November 1914 and the subsequent court martial with James Rogers representing the forty-six arrested. Includes transcripts of James Rogers’ cross-examination of County Inspector Hubert William Crane. Also includes a loose printed catalogue of the auction of Geashill Castle’s contents to be held 22 March 1922.

Digby, Reginald

J. & L. F. Goodbody Ltd., Clashawaun Works Factory Plans

  • IE OCL P97
  • Fonds
  • 1960

Four identical floor-plans of Clashawaun Works. Scale 1 inch: 40 ft. Includes numerical key identifying the various areas of the factory.

Size 68cm x 86 cm each.

The floor plan is from the 1960s.

J. & L. F. Goodbody Ltd.

Records of Parsonstown Town Commissioners

  • IE OCL PTC40
  • Fonds
  • 1855 - 1925

4 Minute Books -
PTC40/1/1: July 1865 - June 1875 (note: includes Burial Board affairs).
PTC40/1/2: October 1883 - February 1890
PTC40/1/3: March 1890 - February 1897
PTC40/1/4: April 1897 - August 1899 and August 1899 - June 1903 (note: abstract only. Manuscript volume in private hands and loaned for abstracting purposes in 1989).

Parsonstown Burial Board
1 Minute Book -
PTC40/2: 7 June 1869 - 6 March 1871 and 7 April 1873 - 4 October 1897 (1 volume, including abstract).

1 Drawing -
PTC40/3: 11 June 1855, drawing designs for lowering Oxmantown Bridge, drawn by John Hill, Tullamore.

1 Accounts Book -
PTC40/4: 1879 - 1925

Parsonstown Town Commissioners

Results 41 to 50 of 63