Showing 11 results

Authority record

Bell Family

  • Family

Edmund Armstrong of Gallen (1754-1827), eldest son of Andrew Armstrong (1730-c.1786) and Constantina Maria Pigot, was born 14 December 1754. On 4 February 1783 he married Elizabeth Trench of Woodlawn, County Galway. From 1785-1800 they had three daughters and five sons. Edmund Armstrong died 12 December 1827, two years after the passing of his wife Constantina.

Sir Andrew Armstrong, 1st Baronet of Gallen (1785-1863), eldest son of Edmund Armstrong of Gallen (1754-1827) and Elizabeth Trench, was born 19 October 1785. On 1 Jan 1835, he married Frances Fullerton (1814-1890). Between the years of 1836 and 1858 they had thirteen children. Sir Andrew Armstrong died in 1863. Frances Fullerton Armstrong died in 1890.

Frances Georgina Armstrong (1841-1911) was the third daughter of Sir Andrew Armstrong, 1st Baronet of Gallen (1785-1863) and Frances Fullerton (1814-1890). On 3 Nov 1864 she married John Alexander Bell (1829-1901), son of Thomas Bell (1798-1872) and Sarah Alexander (1803-1853). They had three children: Frances Sarah Alexander Bell (1865-1947), Georgina Emma Alexander Bell (1866-1944), and Marmaduke Alexander Thomas Bell (1867-1944). John Alexander Bell died on 30 August 1901 in Queensland, Australia. Frances Georgina Bell returned to Dublin, Ireland, where she died in 1911.

Georgina Emma Alexander Bell (1866 -1944), also known as Nina, was the second daughter of Frances Georgina Armstrong (1841-1911) and John Alexander Bell (1866-1944), born 28 September 1866 in Queensland Australia. On 7 Nov 1895 she married Robert Leslie Badham (1859-1989) in Booterstown, Dublin, Ireland. On 22 September 1896, their first child, Emily Frances G. Leslie Badham, was born in Blackrock, County Dublin. On 10 January 1899, their second and final child, Robert Alexander Armstrong Badham, was born. Nina Badham died in Manchester, England in 1944.

Bury Family, Earls of Charleville

  • Family
  • 1806-1875

The earldom of Charleville (of the second creation) was granted to Charles William Bury (1764-1835) in 1806. He had inherited his wealth and estates at Charleville through his paternal grandmother, the sister and heiress of Charles Moore (1712-1764), the 1st earl of Charleville (of the first creation). Lord Charleville and his wife, Catherine Maria (widow of James Tisdall, County Louth), set about building the Gothic mansion Charleville Forest in 1800 on the site of an older 17th century house known as Redwood. The building project took many years and cost an enormous sum of money, which ultimately caused a financial burden for successive generations of the Bury family. They also continued with a lavish lifestyle, living for part of the year in London and travelling extensively on the continent.

Their son, Charles William, Lord Tullamore (1801-1851) married in Florence in 1821 and set up a second expensive household. When he inherited the estate in 1835, it was heavily encumbered. By 1844, it was unsustainable, Charleville was closed up and Lord and Lady Charleville headed for Berlin. Their son, Charles William George, 3rd earl of Charleville (1822-1859) succeeded to the estate in 1851 and returned to Charleville with his wife, Arabella at this time. Unfortunately, they both died within a couple of years of each other, leaving five young children as wards of chancery in Charleville Castle. The children's guardian was named as Alfred Bury, their uncle.

Charles William Francis Bury (1852-1874) inherited the earldom as a minor of seven years in 1859. When he came of age in 1873, there was much festivity and celebration in Tullamore, but sadly he died in New York a year later at the age of 22. The title then reverted to Alfred Bury (1829-1875), the youngest brother of the 3rd earl. He also only had one year as earl, dying in 1875 with no male heirs.

The earldom became extinct at this point but the estates passed to Lady Emily Howard-Bury (1856-1931), Alfred's niece. Her son, Col. Charles Kenneth Howard-Bury (1883-1963), who was born and raised in Charleville Castle, inherited Belevedere in Mullingar in County Westmeath from a cousin Charles Brinsley Marlay in 1912, and made it his permanent home. By the time he inherited Charleville in 1931, the family had ceased to live on the estate. In 1948 he arranged a large auction of all its furniture and paintings. On his death in 1963, he bequeathed Charleville to his cousin, Major William Hutton Bury (1914-1982) whose family have managed the estate since.

Crosbie Family

  • Family
  • b. 1593

"The Crosbie family had been Chief Bards to the O'Mores, chiefs of Leix for many generations. The original family name - Mac an Chrosáin (son of the rhymer) - reflected this occupation.

Seán Mac an Chrosáin and Pádraig Mac an Chrosáin changed their names to John and Patrick Crosbie in 1593. John Crosbie became Bishop of Ardfert in 1601 and his son Walter later became the First Baronet. Sir Walter Crosbie's son, Sir John Crosbie, Second Baronet, was "attained for his part in the 1641 rebellion" but apparently his lands were later restored to him. Sir John's son, Sir Warren Crosbie, Third Baronet, seems to have been the first to live at Crosbie Park and Sir Warren's heir and successor was Sir Paul Crosbie Fourth Baronet and father of Edward and Richard Crosbie. Sir Paul died in Noveber 1773 and Edward succeeded to the title.

The family estate at Crosbie Park was destroyed after the 1798 rebellion."

Digby, Family of the Barons

  • Family
  • 1620-

The Barons Digby of Geashill in the King's County derive their title from Lettice, the only daughter of Gerald, Lord Offaly, eldest son of the Earl of Kildare (1559-1580). Lettice married Sir Robert Digby of Coleshill, Warwickshire. He died in 1618 but Lettice, Lady Digby, then laid claim to the barony of Geashill and the estates of her grandfather, the Earl of Kildare, as heir general. The case was decided against her and in appeasement, James I created her Baroness of Offaly for life and awarded her the barony of Geashill. Her eldest son, Robert, was created Lord Digby of Geashill in the Peerage of Ireland in 1620. The title passed in direct descent until the death of Edward, 8th Baron Digby who died without issue in 1856. It was then passed to his cousin Edward St Vincent, 9th Baron Digby, from whom the present Lord Digby derives his title. In 1765, the 7th Baron Digby was also created 1st Baron Digby in the Peerage of Great Britain. In 1790, he was also created Viscount Coleshill and Earl Digby. The viscountcy and the earldom became extinct on the death of the 8th Baron in 1856, but both baronetcies (Baron Digby of Geashill in the King's County and Baron Digby of Sherbourne in the County of Dorset) continue to the present day.

Parsons Family, Earls of Rosse

  • Family
  • c.1590-

The present line of the Earls of Rosse (of the 2nd creation) is descended from Sir Laurence Parsons, one of four sons of James Parsons and Catherine Fenton of Diseworth Grange, Leicestershire, who had moved to Ireland by the late 16th century. The elder brother, William, was the ancestor of the Earls of Rosse of the 1st creation but the line died out in 1764. The younger brother, Sir Laurence lived in Myrtle Grove, Youghal, Co. Cork where he held several Munster-based government positions. He was knighted in 1620, the same year that he moved to Offaly, having exchanged his interest in a property at Leiter Lugna near Cadamstown with Sir Robert Meredith for the latter’s 1000 acres at Birr. In 1677, his descendent, Sir Laurence Parsons was created baronet, and successive generations of the Parsons Baronets have lived at Birr Castle since this time. The earldom of Rosse was inherited by Sir Laurence Parsons, 5th baronet, from his uncle Laurence Harman Parsons, 1st Earl of Rosse, of County Longford, who died in 1807 without male issue.

Sir Laurence Parsons, 2nd Earl of Rosse (1758-1841), was an Irish peer, agitator against the Act of Union, an Irish parliamentarian and later joint postmaster-general of the Irish post office. His son, Sir William Parsons, 3rd Earl of Rosse (1800-1867), was an astronomer and in 1845 built the ‘Leviathan of Parsonstown’, the world’s largest telescope until the early twentieth century. Sir Laurence Parsons, 4th Earl of Rosse (1840-1908) was also an astronomer and a keen photographer like his mother, Mary Rosse. Sir William Edward Parsons, 5th Earl of Rosse (1873-1918), was a solider in the Irish Guards. He fought in the First World War and died in 1918 of injuries received in action two years previously. His son, Sir (Laurence) Michael Parsons, 6th Earl of Rosse (1906-1979) was heavily involved in Irish cultural affairs and a keen dendrologist. The present Earl of Rosse, and 10th baronet, Sir (William) Brendan Parsons was an officer in the Irish Guards from 1955–57 and worked for the United Nations from 1963-80. He lives at Birr Castle and has overseen the creation of the Historic Science Centre celebrating the scientific legacy of the Parsons family, and, with the assistance of Dr A. P. W. Malcomson of PRONI, has gathered together the archives of the Parsons family, now published as The Calendar of the Rosse Papers.

Results 1 to 10 of 11